this is the method we used to bypass the space limit on the ipod for applications. it was originally posted on macrumors.com i give full credit to “sweadishviking” for this hack. I am just mirroring the data.
HOW-TO: Get around the application space limit your Touch:
NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbreaked your iPod touch and installed the necessary Unix binaries, either manually or by using some sort of semi-automated/automated jailbreak method.
WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk! (Although the risk of it bricking your iPod touch is very low, since you'll most likely keep SSH access even if screwing up)
1. SSH into your iPod touch using the SSH client of your choice; I recommend putty, which you can download at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
2. Move your applications folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following:
mv /Applications /private/var/Applications
3. Change directory to / by typing: cd /
4. Create a symbolic link to the Applications folders new location by typing:
ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications
5. Type the following to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly by typing: ls -la
In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 25 Oct 12 22:31 Applications -> /private/var/Applications
6. Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPod touch! Do that now.
7. To further make sure it's working correctly for you, enter the Installer app and check the available space at the bottom. It should be higher than it was previously, as you've moved away all space-intensive apps. Try installing an app larger than 1MB (MobileChat for example) to see that the amount of available space stays the same.
8. Done! Install away!
Since putty isnt available for mac, we used terminal to get in:
then enter your password
its important to note that this is done via a wifi connection, and you must be on the same wifi network for it to work. you can get your ipods ip by going into:
settings >> wifi >> then taping the blue arrow next to the connection.
Matt is a Systems Development Director for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including Technology, Gadgets/EDC, Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.