i have an hp laserjet 1012, its a little baby laserjet but it works great for me. i never really need to print in color, and i dont print really that often so it’s just what i need. however, since i upgraded to leopard i’ve had many problems with this printer. the biggest problem being the hp printer proxy keeps quitting unexpectedly.
today after some searching i found the answer to my prayers.
here is the fix:
1. open the “print & fax pref pane”
2. delete the hp laserjet 1012 driver
3. open this webpage
4. download and install: ghostscript for mac osx 10.5.x
5. download and install: footmatic rip
6. download and install: hpijs for mac osx 10.5.x
7. open the “print & fax pref pane”
8. add the hp jaserjet 1012 back in – BUT USE THE HP LASERJET 1012 FOOTMATIC/HPIJS DRIVER instead of the standard hp driver!
thats it, you should no longer have issue with the printer proxy service dying on you.