Yesterday I had the AT&T U-Verse service installed. U-Verse is a system that AT&T sells which provides fast internet, voip, and iptv all in one nice little system. Prior to the install my DSL maxed at 6mb, now I bust into the low 20mb’s!
Here is the course of events that took place yesterday…
1. First Installer arrives (1pm) this is the inside guy.
2. Second installer arrives (1:10pm) this is the outside guy.
3. Outside guy heads off to the “home office” a few blocks from my house.
4. Inside guy chats with me, I explain the house is new and that my house was prewired with coax and ethernet (for the phones). I lead him to where all the coax splits are. I also show him the rooms I want the service in as well as my office, which is where the gateway will reside (read big ass modem etc).
5. Inside guy has all the wiring laid out, including the alarm system.
6. We now wait for an hour or so for outside guy to report back.
7. Inside guy reports we have 65+mb downstream to my house, im 900ft from the “home office” with a “really sweet signal”. Outside guy reports in Im the first in the ‘hood to setup U-Verse.
8. Inside guy connects the Gateway, dvr, and other tv set top boxes up.
9. Outside guy climbs telephone pole to make the needed changes.
10. Inside guy tells me to fire up the Mac, and register the new account. This takes about 10 mins as U-Verse registration server is having issues.
11. The gateway throttles the downstream to 25mb (18mb useable by the internet) the rest for iptv and voip.
12. First speed test reports 2200kbps! Nice =)
13. Off to living room to configure the dvr and set tip boxes.
14. HD looks damn sweet on the 70″ Mitsubishi diamond =) much nicer than the dish network it replaced.
15. Inside guy leaves 5:30pm
600pm I have a g33kasim as I surf the net. All in all so far so good with the service. Internet is f-a-s-t. HD TV is crystal clear (slight pixalation on std def) . Voip is much nicer than the Vonage system I had a few years back. The IPTV guide has a nice clean interface, lacking a few things I liked on Dish, but all in all a great start to a relatively new service. Ill keep you all updated =)
Matt is an Internet Specialist for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including: Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.