for some reason firefox 3.x is really getting on my nerves. it all comes down to this. sometimes firefox 3.01 [or 3.0 for that matter] uses 100% of my macs processing power. it freezes the whole machine occasionally. it just drives me mad. firefox shouldn’t be a memory hog. it should not turn my mac pro with 13gb of ram into a snail. its just not right. well today i found a fix, or what seems to be a fix while cruising around the internet in search of an answer.
if you experience issues with firefox crashing, firefox lagging, firefox being unresponsive, this might help you.
please note these instructions are for mac… but you should get the idea for windows xp etc…
1. click the firefox menu
2. click preferences
3. click the advanced tab
4. click the network tab
5. click settings where is says “configure how firefox connects to the internet”
6. select manual proxy configuration
7. enter the following in the HTTP Proxy field: 127.0.0.1
8. enter the following in the port field [next to the above setting]: 0
9. click ok
10. restart firefox
it seems to have fixed the following issues:
1. firefox lag
2. firefox crashes
3. opening a new tab in firefox causes lag
4. opening a new tab in firefox causes crash
6. firefox unresponsive
hope that helps 😉
Matt is an Internet Specialist for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including: Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.