An odd thing happened to me today at work. Firefox crashed, and when I restarted it the font that Firefox uses in the interface turned BOLD. The address bar text turned bold, the buttons and menus turned bold, the task bar turned bold… it drove me bonkers for a little while. Thankfully, all the website text was untouched and remained normal.
This anomaly was all a mystery to me, I never have seen it happen before. Very strange and very annoying. For reference: I am using the newest version of Firefox and the most up to date version of Mac OSX Snow Leopard. After some investigation, I found that the font “Lucida Grande” had become corrupt. So, I figure I would do this quick writeup on how I fixed it, hopefully it helps someone else out there…
How To Fix Firefox Fonts That Turned Bold in Mac OSX
1. Quit Firefox
2. Open your Applications Folder
3. Open Font Book
4. Find “Lucida Grande”
5. Right Click on “Lucida Grande”
6. Select “Reveal in Finder” from the menu
7. A new window will pop open, and “Lucida Grande” should be selected
8. Delete “Lucida Grande” (please note you will have to enter your password to delete it)
9. OSX will then restore the font like new (no worries, you do not have to back it up first)
10. Open Firefox & you should be good to go!
Matt is a Systems Development Director for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including Technology, Gadgets/EDC, Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.