So, you bought the razor and some razor blade sample packs, now what? Well, this is where most of the fun begins… Soaps, Creams and After Shaves!
Buy Some Nice Shaving Soaps & Creams
We are not talking Edge Gel, Barbisol cream we are talking nice stuff. Nothing that get squirted out of a pressurized can – thank you very much.
Soaps and Creams can become costly, but they don’t have to. Here are some of the creams and soaps I recommend.
a. Proraso (AKA C.O. Bigelow at Bath & Body Works) This cream is fantastic, its the one I use most often. Its made with eucalyptus & menthol and leaves you with a cool crisp feeling once you are done shaving. Best of all a tube of it is about $10.
b. The Body Shop Shaving Cream (Link) this costs about $16 and gives a great shave. Easy to get, since there seems to be a store in every mall.
- Van Der Hagen Deluxe (WalMart $2.00) Great inexpensive puck soap. Clean smell, great lather. Hard to beat for $2.
- Williams Soap (WalMart $1.50) A little harder to work with than the Van Der Hagen Deluxe, but once you get used to it. It works and lathers great.
- QED Fresh Lime (Qedusa.com $13.50) The website sucks, but the soap is awesome. Actually, all the stuff Charles sells is fantastic. He is a great guy and sells great products. The Fresh Limes is one of my favorites.
- Tabac (Online $15) – This is still pretty new to me, but bot does it lather nice. Its spicy and reminds me of an old school barber shop. One I will always have in rotation.
Classic After Shaves
I only have a few, many people other there collect After Shaves. But here are the ones I love, most of them are classics and have been around a long time.
- Aqua Velva – One of the two after shaves my grandfather used. I love the burn and the menthol punch these guys give you. Soothes nicely. $4
- Skin Bracer – The other one my grandfather used daily. Also a nice burn and crisp feeling. $4
- Osage Rub – I just started using Osage Rub about a week ago. The smell is a bit medicinal for me. BUT if you want to cool your face down. This is like arctic aftershave. A must have for razor burn. $4
- Burts Bees Bay Rum Balm – I love the smell, and it definitely protects the skin. Great stuff. $12
- Geo F Trumper – Skin Food (Limes is my favorite) Its the most expensive, but a little goes a long way. Its very different, and smells fantastic. $28
Part 3 coming soon…
Previous Article: Shaving with DE Razors Part 1
Matt is an Internet Specialist for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including: Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.