I love photography. Admittedly, I am not that great at it, but I sure do love photographing the things around me. Years ago, I hauled around one of my Nikons anywhere and everywhere I went. Those days are gone, now I carry an iPhone everywhere I go. Everywhere. Like most people these days, our smartphones are essentially welded to our hands… if not, it’s in a pocket, bag, resting on a desk, nightstand or traveling with us – even to the Loo.
As a people, we are snapping pictures of everything at an extraordinary rate. Even taking pics of simplest minutia of our lives, has become common practice. People are taking snapshots of their food, walls, the clouds… you name it — we all take snapshots of it. Taking selfies is ubiquitous within our culture and various societies. One might think, these things are now somehow part of our DNA. While I admit to snapping a few selfies over the years, my personal focus is on capturing the beauty of things around me.
Now that I am always armed with a camera, er iPhone. I often wish I could carry a tripod as well; allowing for smoother, less grainy shots. I also wish at times, there was an easier way to shoot some of the photos I take, especially when shooting macros. Setting those shots up can be a real chore, and you best not move that camera while you take your best shot.
So now that I finally mentioned the product, what the heck is EmoFix?
Simply put, EmoFix is a small Bluetooth device, that essentially is a remote control for your smartphones camera. You click the button on your EmoFix, and your smartphone’s shutter fires. Whoa. Oh, and it also can trigger the shutter while in video mode as well! It’s simple, not super glamorous, but it works, and very well I might add. By the way, you can grab one on their Indiegogo Campaign: EmoFix: The Selfie Lover’s Best Friend.
I received a couple EmoFix prototype devices, for testing and for my EmoFix Giveaway! I have played with EmoFix for awhile now, and I am very impressed.
Here are some of the things I love about EmoFix:
- EmoFix is small, but very well built. I ran over it with my Jeep!
- EmoFix pairs easily with Androids and iOS devices, via Bluetooth.
- EmoFix can be paired with many devices. You can restart it (hold button for 15-20 seconds) and pair it again with new devices.
- It doesn’t require the installation of any app.
- It works with your native camera apps.
- Very long battery life.
- Fits on a keychain, or a carabiner.
- Water resistant. It indeed worked, I tested it while in the shower 😉
- In camera mode EmoFix always fires, flawlessly. Depending on the app, see below…
(Taken with my calipers, and Jewelers scale)
- Width: 40.39mm
- Height: 41.11mm
- Thickness: 4.62mm
- Weight: 17.2 grams
Things I had trouble with:
- It doesn’t work in some camera apps. See list of apps I tested it in below….
- When I tried using it in an app it didn’t work in, it was trying to actuate the volume control.
- I had issues pairing with multiple devices on one of the test devices. Although the second device I tested worked flawlessly.
Apps I tested EmoFix with:
- Native iPhone camera, both Photos and Video worked well.
- Camera+ Photos worked great.
- BigCamera, worked.
- Simply HDR, worked.
- Dramatic HDR, worked.
- HDR Fusion, worked.
- Instagram Camera, EmoFix didn’t work, it tried actuating volume.
- iMotion, didn’t work.
- TimeLapse, didn’t work.
- Hyperlapse, didn’t work.
- ProHDR, didn’t work.
- iCameraHDR, didn’t work.
Where you can get EmoFix:
- You can enter to win a working prototype in my EmoFix Giveaway!
- They are currently running an Indiegogo Campaign: EmoFix: The Selfie Lover’s Best Friend
- You can grab one through Indiegogo for $19, otherwise they will be $29 when released publicly.
- Learn more at EmoFix
I think if you love taking selfies, of yourself and friends. The EmoFix is for you. It’s unobtrusive and doesn’t violate airspace laws like a selfie stick. ;-P
If you are like me, and wish there was a way to remotely trigger your smartphone’s camera. This is for you. Sure, we don’t ‘need’ it, it’s not a ‘must have’, but I tell you what, It will make my life easier in approximately 30-40% of the types of shots I take. For $19 it’s a great buy in my book.
Full disclosure: I received this prototype, directly from the manufacturer, for testing, evaluation and review. I pride myself on being as thorough as I can in my unbiased reviews. The fact I recieved this for free has no bearing on my review. That being said, thank you EmoFix for providing this prototype for testing.
Matt is an Internet Specialist for a multinational franchise. Matt has lived and worked in Hawaii, Chicago, South Florida and currently resides outside of Atlanta. He enjoys his hobbies including: Fountain Pens, Wetshaving, Clocks, Antiques & Coffee. He even roasts his own coffee weekly.